Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Nevermore - Kelly Creagh


Release date: August 31st 2010
Published by:  Atheneum
Number of pages: 543
Series: Nevermore #1
Blurb: Sequel, Enshadowed will be released on August 28th 2012.


Plot:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.


Review:
As some of you might know, I had a bit of a hard time with this book. I read about 200 pages, felt that nothing really special happened and I just felt like picking up another book and so I did. There were weeks (YES WEEKS) when I didn't even open this book, didn't look at it, didn't think about it..
Then, the other day I just picked it up, read ten pages or so before school and I was hooked!
I couldn't stop thinking about it, the story, the characters , everything. I don't really know what happened to change my opinion about it so very drastically in such a short amount of time, but I'm sure thankful that it did!

I found the first half or so of the book a bit slow, kinda boring, just another book about the popular cheerleader and the lonesome outsider, but then, things started happening.
I think the "scene" that really changed my mind, was the one when Isobel comes to Varen's house. I really liked that and I will probobly always remember it.

I really like the characters in this book, I fell flat on my face for Varen, and strangely enough I really liked annoying little Gwen. She doesn't give a damn what other people think of her and she's really loyal towards Isobel despite the fact that she hasn't got a clue what's going on.

My favorite part about Nevermore though, is this world, this universe that Kelly Creagh has created. This is NOT just another boring book about the cheerleader and the loner who gets paired up for an English project in school. It's not another book about a vampire boarding school either.
To weave in the works of Edgar Allan Poe within the pages of a young-adult novel with precision and -let me say it- beauty is something I though impossible. I knew that this book had something to do with Poe but not in my wildest dreams could I have created this magically scary dreamland of Nevermore.
I loved everything from Reynolds to Lilith to the Nocs, especially the Nocs I might say, God I hope someone more artistically talented than me will create loads of great Noc-fanart.

Wait.. *Googles*...



OH LOOKIE WHAT I FOUND!!

No comments:

Post a Comment