Sunday, February 27, 2011

Review: Stork by Wendy Delsol


Stork by Wendy Delsol
Release date: October 12th 2010
P
ublished by: Candlewick
Number of pages: 355 (US Hardback)
2 gumdrops
Series: None

Plot:
Family secrets. Lost memories. And the arrival of an ancient magical ability that will reveal everything. 
Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.

Review:
Stork follows the story of Katla Leblanc, a fashionista from California who has to move to a small town in Minnesota. She founds out that she is oart of an ancient orginazation called the stork society. The stork society os basicly a bunch of old women who get together and decide wo gets babies and who doesn't.
On top of this Katla starts to discover mysterious things about her past.

As you might've guessed from my rating, I didn't like this book. I had really high expectations for this book wich is never good. I'm very very dissapointed.

I did not like the whole fashion aspect of the book. The author took way too much time describing outfits and fabrics, and I find reading about that stuff increadibly boring.

I love to get suprises in books but when something really unexpected happens I really like to go "Ahaaa!, I get it now" but there was none of that. Things just came flying out of thin air.

I liked the whole Icelandic thing. I live in the Nordic countries but I can't think of a time when I've heard Icelandic being spoken ever. And I found it funny that some words was quite similar to Swedish.

Some stuff in this book was just...strange. Some things was so weird that I found it embarissing to read.

For example: Why? why? why did Katla have to scratch her head?
Why did she have to scratch her head until she bleeds only to summon her fellow sister storks? Anything else would've been better. She could clap her hands and say abracadabra, but not SCRATCH HER HEAD!

I wouldn't reccomend this book to anyone. And it's really sad because the whole Stork thing is such a good idea, but Wendy Delsol, sadly, couldn't hadle it D:

1 comment:

  1. NOoOOOOOOOOO! D:
    I wanted to read this so bad!!
    Ohwell, Love the review, thanks for being honest :)
    Maybe I'll check it out and see waht I think of it.

    ReplyDelete