Sunday, May 15, 2011

Review: Across the Universe by Beth Revis.


Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Release date: January 11th 2011
Published by: Razorbill
Number of pages: 398 (UK paperback)
Series: Across the universe #1

Plot:
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
4.5 gumdrops :D

Review:
Boy, did I like this book!
This morning I was at page 190 and I spent the entire day reading. I didn't want it to end!

It's full of exitement, (my hands were literally sweating when Elder woke up and found those Xs on the doors) love, (would you just kiss her already!?) the feeling of being locked in a cage (one time I actually opened my window just to check if the fresh air was still there)and all the while there was this big mystery going on.

Who is the killer? Who is this "other one" everybody's talking about? Who is Elders father? Why are all the creative people on mental meds?
All these damn questions and I felt like I, as the reader, would do anything to get a clue to any of them.

There was a small lack of romance in this book though. I mean the love was always there, within their grasp, but then some frexing alarm would go off or Amy would start to think of her old boyfriend, Jason, or Eldest would send out an all-call to everyone on the ship.

I know some people thought that Elder's obsessive-ness over Amy was too much, but I thought it was really sweet (I mean c'mon, he's never seen enyone with different eye-, hair- or skincolor than him. Also he's never met anyone his age before). Sometimes I even got a little bit mad at Amy for not noticing.

Harley.
Harley.
What to say about Harley?
He was definetly one of my favorite characters in the entire book, but I wish we'd get to know more of his past. I loved how he called Amy 'little fish', and he would always support Amy when everybody else (exept Elder) turned their backs on her.

PLEASE GIVE ME "A million suns" NOW!!!
Grr, argh! (Buffy reference? anyone? no?)

No comments:

Post a Comment